Follow the Feathers
Based in Vienna, Austria
November 1st 2016
PC / Mac
|PC/Mac||Free (name your own price)|
NIVA is a pacifistic exploration art game. The player slips into the role of a mighty forest god to restore the harmony in a mesmerizing forest and relieve it of a mysterious infestation. This shuddersome, mothlike infestation is drawn to the conflicts of the forest's inhabitants. Through observation and by using the abilities of nurturing and withering fascinating plants the player can solve said conflicts. NIVA's scenic art style, relaxing music and simple but intriguing game mechanics invite to explore the forest and have a rest from the stressful everyday life.
Our goal was to create a world with a relaxing athmosphere and music which helps the players calm down and relieve the stress of their everyday lifes. To achieve this we created a world in a vibrant chalk texture style which leaves a feeling like walking through a 3 dimensional pain ng. The mesmerizing forest with its imagina ve plants and animals are inspired by childhood media like Disney’s „Sleeping Beauty“, „Bambi“, „Alice in wonderland" and Ghibli’s „Princess Mononoke". Therefore the style of the game feels posi vely familiar to our target group. The design of the player character - the Forest God - is a hybrid of a herbivore (deer) and a carnivore (lion). Both of these animals are known as symbols of royalty thus he is neither good nor bad like nature itself.
- 45 minutes to 1 hour playtime
- 2 core abilities: grow or wither plants
- play as a mighty forest god
- explore a mesmerizing forest and solve it's riddles
- calm and relaxing atmosphere, you cannot die
- almost no use of text, observation is key
- controls optimized for gamepad
Recommended Let's Play YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Art Directors Club Germany" Bronze - Stuttgard, Germany - 2017
- "Casual Connect, Indie Prize" Official Selection - Berlin, Germany - 2017
- "Austrian Computer Graphics Award" Best Game - Vienna, Austria - 2016
- "Austrian Computer Graphics Award" Best Student Project - Vienna, Austria - 2016
- "Subotron Live Pitch" Finalist, honourable mentions by jury - Vienna, Austria - 2016
- "Unlike many of the modern games, it does not require any shooting and killing. Everything is pretty calm and peaceful."
- NIVA: Pacifistic Exploration Art Game, 80.lv
- "Tip: the beautiful "NIVA" made by Austrian students (translated to English)"
- Rainer Sigl, derstandard.at
- "NIVA is a soothing, pretty, and charming experience"
- Steve Gill, gamingrespawn.com
- "A peaceful adventure (translated to English)"
- Seldell, indiemag.fr
- "Like an old Disney-Movie (translated to English)"
- Robert Glashüttner, fm4
- "A relaxing and enjoyable game with a great art style, soothing music and a nice journey."
- Oliver Snyders, futurebetagamer.com
- "NIVA is exploring the natural circle of a forests life in a playful way (translated to English)"
- Alice Wilczynski, 4players.de
A selection of recommended NIVA Let's Plays on youtube.com.
NIVA on facebook.com.
NIVA on twitter.com.
About Follow the Feathers
We’re a small independent studio from Vienna, Austria. For the past six years we have worked together as a tight-knit team and developed our games - YoKaisho and NIVA - which were honored with various international awards and nominations. We thrive to create family friendly experiences which captivate our players through their curious game mechanics and mesmerizing art style. We are currently working on our next game: Weaving Tides.