Follow the Feathers
Based in Vienna, Austria
YoKaisho is an augmented reality board game for four players. It combines the typical coziness of playing together and a modern tablet app. In the game you have to defend your village against a mob of impish ghosts, so called "yokai". Each player can build houses inside their village using physical tokens. These buildings alter the behaviour of attacking ghosts and can be activated to defend the village even better.
Our goal was to mix the collaborative features of traditional board games with action-paced gameplay on the tablet. The game world is heavily inspired by Japan’s myths and culture, also the name itself derives from Japanese: our creatures are so called Yokai (ghosts) and it is a four-player game (Yon = four) where getting together is the core experience (Kaisho = meeting). Every one of the four players has to defend their own village which is haunted by Yokai. The players try to get rid of the ghosts by shooing them away to the other villages and are building better defenses with each turn to protect themselves. To win the game a player has to free his village from all the Yokai. We were a team of seven people (four artists and three programmers) and worked on the project for about one and a half years.
- augmented reality board game
- designed for 4 players
- needs only 1 android tablet
- game board with four villages and card slots
- 8 different yokai that try to attack your village
- use offensive and defensive tokens to create one out of 14 available buildings
- deck of cards with lots of clever puns
YoKaisho Trailer Vimeo
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Austrian Computer Graphics Award" Best Game - Vienna, Austria - 2015
- "Animago Award" Nominee - Berlin, Germany - 2014
- "European Youth Award" Shortlist: Connecting Cultures - Online - 2014
- "YoKaisho wants to show that analog as well as digital media have a right to exist (translated to English)"
- Digital Production, digitalproduction.com
- "Being nominated alongside gamestudios like Ubisoft, Electronic Arts and Crytek is already a great achievement by itself (translated to English)"
- Christine Pachler, animations-and-more.com
Spieltz game board & token manufacture
We created our physical game board at spieltz.de.
About Follow the Feathers
We’re a small independent studio from Vienna, Austria. For the past five years we have worked together as a tight-knit team and developed our games - YoKaisho and NIVA - which were honored with various international awards and nominations. We thrive to create family friendly experiences which captivate our players through their curious game mechanics and mesmerizing art style. We are currently working on our next game: Weaving Tides.